Update - November 24
Lakeview Board Wants to Hear from You!
The Lakeview School District Board of Education is asking stakeholders for input on what to look for in the district’s next superintendent. Residents of the district, parents, community members, district staff, students and administration are encouraged to participate in the process.
Stakeholders may choose to participate through an online survey or at one of three meetings scheduled for parents and community members. Participants will share their priorities for the qualities, experiences, and skills needed in the new superintendent. Separate sessions are scheduled for district staff and students.
Stakeholder input will be reviewed by the Board at a special meeting on Tuesday, December 14. The Board will use the information to help craft a job description and posting for the district’s next superintendent. Special meetings are open to the public.
The Board is being assisted in its search by the Michigan Association of School Boards (MASB), a service organization that supports the work of school boards throughout Michigan. MASB will facilitate all community and staff input sessions and collect responses to the online survey.
Additional information on the search timeline and process is available at www.lakeviewspartans.org.
Parent & Community Input Opportunities
- Now-Wednesday, December 8 - Online Survey - https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/LakeviewSearch
- Tuesday, December 7 - In-Person Meeting, 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM, LHS Forum, please RSVP: https://forms.gle/Gi8BmfTRkB2xcoi3A
- Wednesday, December 8 - Zoom Meeting, 12:30 PM- 1:30 PM, Link to Join: https://lakeviewspartans.zoom.us/j/93083002378?pwd=bGR0T2N4SUZwWFBqR0F3QVdYQzFnZz09
- Thursday, December 9 - Zoom Meeting, 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM, Zoom Meeting, Link to Join: https://lakeviewspartans.zoom.us/j/99608500679?pwd=VUUzQ2ZHbmxnZzA2aVJIeVZFdDJpUT09
Special Meetings & Candidate Interviews
As part of the comprehensive search timeline, the Board of Education will hold the following special meetings in addition to their regularly scheduled monthly meetings. Special meetings and all interviews are open to the public.
- Tuesday, December 14 - Recruitment (review stakeholder input, develop selection criteria), 5:00 PM
- Tuesday, February 15 - Interview Preparation (develop interview questions, select candidates for interviews. A portion of this meeting will be held in closed session, as superintendent applications are confidential until a candidate has been offered and agreed to an interview. All interviews take place during public meetings.), 6:00 PM
- Wednesday/Thursday, February 23 & 24 - First Round Interviews, 5:00 PM
- Tuesday, March 8 - Finalist Open Houses & Interviews, 5:30 PM
Update - November 5 - Lakeview Moves Forward in Interim Search
Lakeview’s Board of Education took the next step in selecting an interim superintendent at a special board meeting last night.
Following four hours of interviews and deliberations, the Board approved a motion to enter into negotiations with retired Kalamazoo Public Schools Assistant Superintendent Cindy Green. Board members cited Green's experience in school leadership, curriculum and instruction, school safety, health, and educational equity as reasons for her selection.
“Above all, the Board appreciated Cindy’s energy and passion for students, for education and for Lakeview. Her experience will serve the district well during this transition. We look forward to welcoming her back to the Spartan family,” said Board President Eric Greene.
Green, a proud member of the Lakeview High School Class of 1976, brings 17 years of experience as an Assistant Superintendent within Kalamazoo Public Schools.
The interim superintendent will serve through June 30, during which time the Board will conduct a comprehensive search for the district's next leader. Current Superintendent Blake Prewitt's last day with the district will be December 31.
Staff members, parents and the community will have opportunities to provide input throughout the search process. A timeline for the search and public engagement is anticipated to be announced in late November.
Upcoming Meeting - Thursday, November 4, 2021
The Board plans to identify an interim superintendent to serve through June 30. A special board meeting to interview interim candidates is planned for Thursday, November 4, 2021, at 6 pm in the LMS Auditorium, 300 S. 28th St. The meeting will be open to the public.
Update - October 20, 2021
On Monday, October 18, Lakeview’s Board laid the groundwork for the search and selection of the district’s next superintendent.
As part of their regular monthly meeting, the Board formally accepted the resignation of Superintendent Blake Prewitt. Mr. Prewitt has accepted a new position as superintendent at Newaygo County RESA. His last day with the district will be December 31, 2021.
The Board also selected the Michigan Association of School Boards (MASB) to lead the search for the district’s next superintendent. The search will take around three months and include opportunities for stakeholders to provide input throughout the process - from creating the job description to sharing feedback following public interviews. It is anticipated that a timeline for the search will be announced in November.