When you have an assignment or need to do research, use the
Big 6™ Information Problem Solving model.
Follow these six steps as you go about finding information.
1. Task Definition
- Restate the assignment in your own words.
- For help in deciding on a research topic, see the Idea Generator
- When is the assignment due?
- What is the final product that you must turn in?
- What information do you already have and what do you need to know?
- Use the Task Definition Organizer to plan your work for this assignment.
2. Information Seeking Strategies
- Brainstorm and identify sources available for your assignment.
- Which sources are the best for your assignment?
- Examples of useful information resources are listed below. You can connect to all databases from the LMS Library Databases page.
eBook K-8 collection Britannica School Middle Search Plus DK Find Out! Gale in Context
3. Location & Access
- Find the sources and get your hands on the information.
- What are your key words?
- Where is the information located within each source?
- Keep track of search attempts and strategies by using the LMS Library Search Record form.
4. Use of Information
- Engage in your source to gather information. Read, view, listen and take notes.
- What information is available in each source?
- What information answers your question and is helpful for your assignment?
- Remember to cite your sources!
- Organize information from all sources to share your results.
- Create a product (written report, PowerPoint, poster, video, podcast, etc.) in your own words.
- Consider using some cool new presentation tools!
- Remember to do your own work and to respect copyright guidelines.
- How can you best present and communicate your information?
- Judge your final product and the process that you used to complete your assignment.
- Did you complete the entire assignment on time?
Did you meet the criteria outlined by your teacher and use the number and type of resources required?
- Did you correctly cite all of the sources used for you research?
- Did you paraphrase all of the information in your assignment?
- Is the final product your best work?
- What might you do differently for your next research assignment?